7 tips on how to become a successful writer
Do you want to become a successful writer? Keep in mind that writing is like any other job. You need to practice a lot to see results. As a writer, you spend one boring part of the day on writing words, and the other boring part on erasing them again.
Your writing career will not come of the ground before you start bleeding on the paper. However, don’t let that fact turn you off. Writing can be a lot of fun if you approach it correctly, and when you see positive results. Use these tips to become a successful writer.
1. Get out of your cave
Writing can be done alone, but you need others to become successful. So, at some point you need to get out of your writers cave. Cut off your beard, take a shower, dust off your clothes, and start networking with publishers, proofreaders, editors etc. You will need them eventually.
2. Join writing contests
At many writing contests, your work will be reviewed by experts. They often provide feedback, and If your are lucky they will recognize your talent. This can result in a nice price, a free publication or a new work connection with the experts.
3. Volunteer to gain credentials
I have done some interesting volunteer writing assignments. Similar paid jobs where difficult to find. Think digital signage and newspaper articles. Although unpaid, these jobs can help to gain writing credentials. Become a well known writer in your region, while supporting your community.
4. Constant practice
Like every job, if you want to become an expert, you need to practice a lot. Do not aspect that talent alone will take you to the top. It will make things easier, but what really makes a difference is your willingness to write and write and write.
5. Write with passion
For the sake of your sanity and career. Whatever topic you choose, make sure that you write about it with passion. If you don’t enjoy writing it, then your readers will not enjoy reading it. Lack of passion will lower your motivation, and then writing becomes a very boring job.
6. Attack your creation
A good writer spends more time on deleting then on creating. You have to be ruthless when it comes to erasing. It is important that you separate the indispensable sentences from the disposable ones. You will never become a successful writer if you are unable to do this.
7. To read or not to read?
To read or not to read? Opinions differ. I advice that you only read when you are not writing. During the writing process you need to depend on your own creativity. Read books when you are free. Learn about writing styles, word choices, character building and other writing related subjects.
You can do it!
Keep writing and do your best. Even if the odds are against you. Don’t get scared by the lack of talent. The world is full of untalented people who became successful by not giving up. With the right connections and the right mentality, you too can become a successful writer.
What kind of methods and tips do you use to become a successful writer? Do you read a lot of books or do you prefer to avoid them during the writing process? Which writer inspires you the most?
- Tips from Stephen King: I am earning money with my writings but I am no Stephen King (not yet..). Read this informative post to learn 20 writing tricks from the master himself. Jon Morrow, the writer of this post, also explains how you can apply these tips as a blogger.
- On Writing – A Memoir Of The Craft: Are you a big fan of Stephen King and his writings, or did the blog post from Jon Morrow inspire you. Stephen Kings reveals many useful writing tips in this book. Definitely a must read for every (aspiring) writer.
- Writer Help Wanted: Alice Seba and Ron Douglas teach you how you can avoid critical writing mistakes and earn more money as a writer.
- Bad writing for beginners: When you want to succeed as a writer you need learn how to write bad. This is one of my previous writing related posts. It is a good read for if you want to learn how to become successful in bad writing.
- Back to the Home Page